*Packing the bowl, takes a little practice to get it perfect.5. Brake up the shisha so it sets lightly in the bowl. If it is packed too dense, it will not allow smoke to be pulled through the head. Fill the head to the rim of the bowl and no higher. If you over fill the head, the shisha will become too packed when placing the foil or metal screen over the top.
* When placing foil over the top, get a square piece of foil that is approximately 3 X 3 inches. Place the foil over the top of the head (tobacco bowl).
* Poke holes in the foil. A thumb tack or oyster fork works best.
* Setup of hookah with hose and head.
* Lighting coals - If you have instant light coals or Japanese silver square coals, a lighter will work. For other coals, use a stove or propane torch. You can find a propane torch at home improvement store for around $20. Burn the coal all the way around so when you blow on the coal, a red glow covers the entire piece. You can not directly apply flame to the tobacco or use BBQ charcoals for the head. A lot of BBQ charcoal gives off too much carbon monoxide which can cause headaches and even death. Use only hookah charcoals please.
* Carefully place the charcoal on top of the hookah head so that you don’t drop ambers into the shisha.*If the hookah smoke becomes harsh, you may have too many coals on the head. Try removing a coal or breaking a coal into two to distribute heat better. If the hookah is still smoking harsh, ambers may be in the shisha. Remove coals and cover so that you can blow out ambers.
Q: My hookah doesn't seem to be smoking right. What do I do?
* Check your bowl. The most common mistake is packing the shisha too tightly. Make sure that you break the shisha apart and lightly sprinkle it into the bowl to the top. Don't fill it past the top because you'll be packing the shisha when you cover it with a metal screen or foil.
* Check your charcoal. If the charcoal is covered with ash, there may not be enough heat getting to the shisha. Use your tongs to tap the charcoal ash off into your hookah tray and place the red charcoal back on your head.
* Check your gaskets. Make sure that all of the components of the hookah are fitting nicely together. A snug fit will make the smoke flow more efficiently. You may check for a burnt gasket. Some hookahs expose the gasket and are easily burnt by charcoal that is moved around in the tray.
* Check your hoses. If you have multiple hoses, make sure that all ends are plugged properly. For example, if you have two or three hoses on your hookah and there is only one person smoking, you'll need to remove the hoses and use rubber stoppers or tape to block the hose holes.
Q: What is the difference between smoking hookah tobacco and smoking cigarettes?
All major shisha manufacturers have nicotine listed at 0.5% and tar listed at 0.0%. On a pack of Marlboro Full Flavor 100's Filter Soft Pack, there is 16 milligrams of tar and 1.2 milligrams of nicotine (these numbers are listed on the philip moriss website, www.philipmorris.com). Most cigarettes contain over 2.0% in nicotine. "Among the findings, Marlboro had as much as 9.6 percent freebase nicotine; Camel contained 2.7 percent; Winston had 5 percent to 6.2 percent; and Gauloises Blondes was found to have 5.7 percent to 7.5 percent." ("'Freebase' Nicotine Thought to Make Cigarettes More Addictive" 30 July. 2003. www.nacsonline.com (26 August. 2004)). Although there is no tar and less nicotine, Hookah smoking is still smoking. Please be aware of the risks of tobacco before choosing to smoke
How To Smoke a Hookah/Shisha -
* Fill the vase so that the stem of the hookah is submerged approximately one inch in the water. Using ice in the glass is very common; it makes the smoking experience more cool and soothing. You can also try freezing your glass by putting approximately an inch of water into the glass and putting it into the freezer.
* Place the metal argile on top of the vase. You should have a gasket to help seal the two together making it air tight.
* Place the tray over the top of the argile head. The tray will not fit over most heads, so you’ll need to place it on first. The opening for the tray will usually be a bit wider than the neck of the argile. This is what your hookah should look like.
* Attach the hose gasket to the end of the hose. Place the end of the hose with gasket into the hose opening of the argile. Hookah setup with hose.